04/04/2025 / By Cassie B.
The Trump administration will announce its decision on the future of TikTok’s U.S. ownership before Saturday’s deadline, Vice President JD Vance confirmed Thursday, signaling a decisive move to address long-standing national security concerns over the app’s ties to China. With major American firms like Amazon and private equity groups vying for control of the platform, the administration is pushing to finalize a deal that severs TikTok from its Chinese parent company, ByteDance — a challenge previous administrations failed to resolve.
Speaking at the American Dynamism Summit in Washington, Vance emphasized the administration’s commitment to protecting American data from foreign adversaries while keeping the popular app operational. “It’ll come out before the deadline,” Vance told Fox News, adding that officials are working to “finalize some things” before President Trump makes the final announcement. The White House has left the door open for an extension if needed, but Vance stressed that the administration is “in a good place” to meet its goal.
The deadline, set for April 5, stems from bipartisan legislation signed by President Joe Biden requiring ByteDance to divest TikTok’s U.S. operations or face a ban. Since taking office, Trump has delayed enforcement to negotiate a sale, sparking a flurry of bids from U.S. investors. Amazon, Oracle, and a consortium led by OnlyFans founder Tim Stokely are among the contenders, with private equity giants like Blackstone and Silver Lake also in the mix.
Amazon’s last-minute offer, however, is not under serious consideration, according to sources familiar with the talks. The administration has instead focused on a complex ownership structure involving multiple investors to dilute ByteDance’s influence. “We’ve cooked up this very complex new ownership group,” one insider said, describing a proposal that includes strict safeguards against Chinese access to user data or algorithms.
The push to “decouple” TikTok from China reflects bipartisan alarm over Beijing’s potential access to the data of 170 million American users. While TikTok denies sharing information with the Chinese government, U.S. intelligence officials warn the app remains a propaganda and surveillance tool. The Trump administration’s hardline stance marks a sharp contrast to the delays and legal battles that plagued earlier efforts to regulate the platform.
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt reiterated Trump’s flexibility, noting the president “reserves the right for an extension if necessary” to secure the best deal. But Vance, who has spearheaded the negotiations, has made clear his preference for a timely resolution. “The outlines of this thing will be very clear,” he told NBC News last month. “The question is whether we can get all the paper done.”
The TikTok decision is more than a business transaction — it’s a litmus test for U.S. resolve in countering China’s technological influence. President Xi Jinping has opposed relinquishing control of TikTok’s algorithm, a hurdle that stalled past deals. Yet Trump, who once sought to ban the app, now sees its political value, crediting TikTok with boosting his 2024 youth outreach.
“I’d like to see TikTok remain alive,” Trump told reporters Sunday, acknowledging the app’s cultural and strategic significance. His administration’s approach—balancing security, economic interests, and political pragmatism—could set a precedent for future tech disputes with Beijing.
As the clock ticks toward Saturday’s deadline, the Trump administration is poised to deliver a landmark decision on TikTok, one that could redefine U.S. tech sovereignty. Whether through a sale, partnership, or temporary extension, the outcome will underscore Washington’s growing willingness to confront China where past leaders hesitated.
Sources for this article include:
Tagged Under:
Amazon, big government, Big Tech, China, computing, cyber war, Glitch, information technology, national security, politics, progress, tech giants, technocrats, TikTok, Trump, White House
This article may contain statements that reflect the opinion of the author
COPYRIGHT © 2017 WHITE HOUSE NEWS